History of Alappuzha Police
Alappuzha is one of the 14 districts in the state of Kerala in India. It was formed as Alleppey District on August 17, 1957 by combining parts of old Kollam district and Kottyam district , but the origin of Alleppey city is way back in 1762 itself. The town was founded by Raja Kesavadas who is the Divan of Karthika thirunal Rama varma . During that time it was the only planned city in Travancore with two canals and roads that stretch across the banks of the canals . This canals were designed to facilitate the transportation of goods from different parts of the town and to promote business . At the early times of the town (we can say the cliche, good old days) merchants from all part of india was invited to the town and the royal government offered all facilities to this businessmen by offering business facilitation centers. The name of the district was officially changed to Alappuzha as per GO(P) No.133/90/RD dated 7.2.90. It is assumed that the name of Alappuzha was derived by the geographical position and physical features of the place which means” the land between the sea and the network of rivers flowing into it". The district is a widely known tourist destination and is well known for its coir factories. Most of Kerala's coir industries are situated in and around Alappuzha.
Alappuzha District Police was started functioning on 17th of August 1957. Sri. K.Ramanujan IPS was the first Superintendent of Police in this District. At present Alappuzha Police District consists 34 Police Stations including one Coastal Police Station at Thottapally and one Vanitha Police Station, 12 Circles, 4 Sub Divisions, 5 Special Units, and 3 Out Posts.